I sat there taking it all in. She found herself in a flurry of friends and hugs and “happy birthday” exchanges.
That’s when IT happened. One of the fourth grade boys walked into the room and locked eyes with me. He moved closer and placed his hand on my shoulder. He sighed gently, looked at my daughter and then back into my eyes and calmly explained, “You’ve done a great job raising that one.”
I had no words. I still don’t. I sat there completely dumbfounded that this little 4th grade prophet and I shared this moment.
He’s right. Or at least God took my scared, trembling entrance into parenthood with this wildly wonderful lady and He’s raised us both using the other. That sounds more like it.
So today it is my great privilege to introduce you to my firstborn. She is fire and joy and kindness and hilarity and I hope you will take the time to open your heart and receive her beautiful words.
Hannah’s 10 Rules for Life
- Be forgiving: if you hold onto every single mistake you or your friend has made, you will begin to judge yourself [or your friend] and it will be miserable. ;(
- Don’t have a bad attitude to yourself or others. Then you will be angry at yourself for making those choices. It will also cause a chain reaction that will break bonds from not only your parents, but your friends and others. And refusing others it is not fun.Because you need them.
- Play: if you don’t, you won’t be getting the fun or the exercise out of it.Or if you are a mom you won’t develop any good memories or, a true bond with your child [or children]
- Don’t give up no matter the cost. God has a special surprise for you just around the corner. Just hang on.
- Just because you look different or have a ‘weird’ talent does not mean you should be teased. Stand up and say…. I AM NOT WEIRD. I BELONG IN THIS WORLD. I AM MADE IN GOD’S IMAGE, I AM SPECIAL IN HIS EYES.
- Help: even if you just help with the dishes or stand up for a kid that helps make the world a better place.
- Stop for a moment and look around and embrace what you have around you.
- Don’t smoke; it is bad. You can die. And it is not healthy for you.
- Try: even if you mess up you will have the memories.
- Listen: even if you do not understand someone should have your attention.